Close this search box.

Log in

Top Stories

Charlotte County residents displaced by hurricanes Ian and Idalia can reside in their temporary mobile homes and recreational vehicles for an additional year. 

County commissioners voted to allow residents displaced by Hurricane Ian to live in RVs or temporary mobile homes on developed residential lots until Sept. 22, 2025.

After Ian came Hurricane Idalia in August 2023, again displacing some. Property owners living in temporary dwellings on their property due to Idalia can now remain until Aug. 23, 2026, three years after the emergency declaration from that storm. 

Recovery from the storms has been a slow process for some, as not all residents have settled with their insurance company claims. 

Some rooftops are still covered by tarps, and roofers and contractors continue to conduct hurricane repairs in the county. 

To be eligible to reside in temporary dwellings, residents’ homes must have been damaged and rendered uninhabitable from either hurricane. 

Owners were required to register their temporary RVs, and for those who did not, they should visit the county building department RV/camper location registration website to review qualifications and other regulations. 

Owners who haven’t obtained a permit to set a temporary mobile home can visit the Community Development Department at 18400 Murdock Circle in Port Charlotte to fill out necessary paperwork and provide plans, county officials said. 

For questions about the RV registration, call 941-743-1201. 

Hurricane season begins June 1, and Federal Emergency Management Agency mobile homes and campers still remain on Airport Road in a staging area in Punta Gorda where they were placed following Hurricane Ian. 

Copyright 2024 Gulfshore Life Media, LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written consent.

Don't Miss

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Please note that article corrections should be submitted for grammar or syntax issues.

If you have other concerns about the content of this article, please submit a news tip.